Wednesday 7 July 2010

Hema's recipe: Tindora/Kovakkai thuvaran


I always stir fry the kovakkai when I make curry, which consumes lot of oil. One of my friend, gave me this recipe of kovakkai thuvaran where kovakkai is boiled in water instead of stir fry.

I tried it as told by her. It was really so tasty that I stopped making koavakkai stir fry and started doing this thuvaran nowadays.


INGREDIENTS:

1) Tindora/Kovakkai - 1/2 KG
2) Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
3) Red chilli - 2
4) Mustard seeds - 1/2 tbsp
5) urad dal - 1/2 tbsp
6) Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
7) Turmeric - a pinch
8) salt to taste
9) Curry leaves - a few
10) oil - 1 tbsp


METHOD:

1) Finely chop kovakkai(round shape) and boil them in water. Cook them till they are tender.
2) Grind the grated coconut, red chilli, cumin seeds in a blender without adding water.
3) Heat the oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
4) Now add the cooked kovakkai and add turmeric and salt
5) To this add the grounded coconut mixture and mix it well.
6) Cook it in the low flame for about 10 mins or till done.
7) Serve it as a sidedish for any rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment