Tuesday, 19 October 2010
Hema's recipe: Chakka Pradhaman/jackfruit payasam
Chakka pradhaman is a traditional keralite recipe. It is usually done by keralites on Vishu.
The main highlight of this recipe is jaggery and coconut milk. It tastes so delicious and the aroma from these 3 ingredients i.e. jackfruit, jaggery and coconut milk is just great.
I learnt this recipe from my mother-in-law. Coming from a kerala origin, she does it so well that I grabbed it from her.
1) Jackfruit pieces - 10
2) Jaggery - 1/2 cup (add according to the jackfruit paste)
3) Coconut milk - 1/4 cup
4) Cardamom powder - 1 tbsp
5) Cashews - a few
6) Raisins - a few
7) Ghee - 1 tbsp
1) Take the Jackfruit pieces, cut each of them into small pieces and grind them into a fine paste.
2) In a thick bottomed vessel, add required amount of water and when it comes to a boil, put the grated jaggery and let it melt.
3) Now add the grounded jackfruit paste and let it cook till the raw smell goes off.
4) When it starts to bubble, add the coconut milk.
5) Cook for couple of minutes and switch off the flame.
6) Meanwhile, heat the pan with 1 tbsp ghee and fry cashews and raisins & keep it aside.
7) Add cardamom powder, cashews and raisins.
8) Serve hot.