Saturday, 31 July 2010
Paruppu vadai is one of my favourite of all vadas. My mom does it on all special occasions for me.
I did it as per my mom's recipe and it was so tasty and delicious.
1) Gram dhal(kadala paruppu) - 1 cup
2) Toor dhal - 1/2 cup3) Urad dal - 1 fistful
4) Red chilli - 6 nos.
5) Hing - a pinch
6) Curry leaves - a few
7) Salt to taste
8) Oil - for deep frying
1)Soak all the 3 dals and redchilli in water for 2 hours.
2)Soak 3 tbsp of gram dhal separately.
3)After 2 hrs, drain the water completly and grind the dhals(3 dals+redchilli) to a coarse paste without adding water.
4)Now add that 3 tbsp of gram dhal to this coarse paste and mix them well.
5)To this, add hing, curry leaves and salt as required.
6)Heat oil in a pan for frying the vadas.
7)Take a small ball from the paste and flatten them with your palm and drop them in the oil.
8)Once they become golden brown take them and dry it in paper towel.
Wednesday, 28 July 2010
1) Wheat flour - 2 cups
2) Methi leaves - 1 bunch(washed & finely chopped)
3) Red chilli powder - 1/2 tbsp
4) Turmeric powder - a pinch
5) Garam masala - 1/2 tbsp
6) Oil - 1 tbsp
7) Salt to taste
1)In a bowl add wheat flour, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt & finely chopped methi leaves.
2)Mix it well and make a soft dough by adding water.
3)Add oil and knead the dough.
4)Cover the dough and let it rest for an hour.
5)Now make small balls and roll it like chapathis.
6)Heat the tawa and put this methi chapathi on the tawa.
7)Flip it on the other side and add 1/2 tsp oil.
8)when done transfer the chapathi to a plate.
9)Serve chapathis with any gravies of your choice.
Thursday, 22 July 2010
1. Onion 1
2. Mixed veggies together 1 cup (carrot, peas, potato, capsicum)
3. Cloves 2 , cumin seeds 1 tspn, bay leaf 1, cinnamon stick 1/2 inch.
4. Basmati rice 1 cup (soak in water for 10 min)
5. Salt to taste
To grind in to a paste:
1. Coconut 2 tblspn
2. Fennel seeds 1 tspn
3. Coriander leaves 1 tblspn
4. Green chillies 3
5. ginger garlic paste 1 tspn
Grind the above to a fine paste adding little water.
1. In a pan heat oil , add cloves, Cinnamon, bay leaf, cumin seeds. Fry for few seconds.
2. Now add chopped onions, fry till translucent.
3. Now add the ground paste mentioned above and also add mixed veggies. Cook till raw smell of paste disappears. May be for 5 or 7 min.
4. Now add 1 cup basmati rice , salt, mix it well and add 1.5 cups of water. If pressure cooker is used, cook till 3 whistles. If rice cooker is used once rice is added and mixed well, transfer it to rice cooker and add water as mentioned and switch on the rice cooker.
5. Finally once rice is cooked serve it with any raita of your choice.
Wednesday, 21 July 2010
1. onion 1
2. Tomatoes 3
3. Fennel seeds 1/2 tspn
4. Cumin seeds 1/2 tspn
5. Cloves 3
6. gree chillies 2
7. Coriander powder 2 tspn, chilli powder 1 tspn, turmeric a pinch, garam masala 1/2 tspn.
8. Ginger garlic paste 1 tspn
9. potatoes 1/2 kg (Boiled and chopped in cubes or medium bite size chunks)
10. Capsicum 1 medium
11. Salt to taste
1. In a pan heat oil, add cloves, cumin seeds, fennel seeds. fry for few seconds.
2. Now add green chillis, onion and fry till onion is translucent. Now add capsicum. Cook for 3 min.
3. Now add tomatoes. You can puree it if you want. I pureed them. since it gets cooked faster. add water according to your required consistency.
4. Now add ginger garlic paste and all the powders and cook for 10 or 15 min till the raw smell disappears.
5. Finally add the boiled potatoes, cook for further 1 or 2 min till it gets well mixed and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with paratha or roti.
1. Onion 1
2. Tomatoes 3
3. Whole garam masala ( cardamom 2, cloves 3, Cinnamon sticks 1/2 inch)
4. Fennel seeds 1 tspn
5. Green chillies 2
6. Turmeric a pinch, Coriander powder, 2 tspn, chilli powder 1 tspn,
7. Salt to taste
8. Basmati rice cooked 1 cup
9. Peas 1/2 cup
10. Ginger garlice paste
1. In a pan heat oil, add fennel seeds , green chilli and all the whole garam masala mentioned above.
2. Now add chopped onions, fry till translucent.
3. Now add chopped tomatoes, fry for few seconds. Then also add ginger garlic paste.
4. Then add all the powders (coriander, chilli, turmeric)
5. Fry till tomatoes are cooked and the raw smell of powders disappear. Cook for about 10 min on a medium flame.keep stirring occasionaly , so that spices doesn't get burnt.
6. Now add salt, peas and add the cooked basmati rice to the above mixture and mix well till it gets coated well. Cook for 1 or 2 min. Switch off the flame and serve with any raita of your choice.
Note: I used frozen peas, so it can be added finally. If using fresh peas, it has to be pressure cooked first and then has to be added to the above.
1. moong dal and toor dal together 1/2 cup
2. cumin seeds 1 tspn
3. onion 1
4. methi leaves 1 cup
5. pinch of turmeric
6. peas 1/2 cup
7. mustard seeds 1/2 tspn
8. Green chilli 1
9. Chilli powder 1tspn, coriander powder 2tspn
10.Salt to taste
1.In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, once it splutter add cumin seeds,
2.Now add green chillies and onion. Cook till onions are translucent.
3.Now add all powders (chilli, coriander, turmeric)
4.Next add the cooked dal. Cover and cook for 10 min till raw smell of powders are gone.
5. Once the raw smell disappears, add the methi leaves and peas and salt. I used frozen peas. It cooks faster so can be added finally also.
6. let it cook for 3 min. Switch off the flame and serve.
Tuesday, 20 July 2010
This is my another variety of poha. I learnt this recipe from my neighbour when I was in bombay.
This poha is of maharashtrian style and quite different from my previous milagu aval recipe.
1) Poha - 1 cup
2) Onions - 1(finely chopped)
3) Jeera - 1/2 tbsp
4) Green chillies - 4
5) Roasted peanuts - 1 tbsp
6) Hing - a pinch
7) Turmeric - a pinch
8) Salt - to taste
9) Coriander leaves - a few
1)Wash the poha nicely and soak for about 5 mins in water. Do not add too much water as it will become too mushy.
2)Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera, hing, turmeric, roasted peanuts and green chiilies.
3)Add onions and fry till they become translucent.
4)Now add the poha after straining it from the water.
5)Add salt and mix them well.
6)Cover it and cook for about 10 mins.
7)Garnish with coriander leaves.
8)Serve hot with any chutney.
1)Generally, potato is added. But I don't add it.
2)you can also add carrot, peas, beans but I like to do it only with onions.
3)you can also add ginger garlic paste to this poha.
4)Adjust green chillies according to your spice.
Monday, 19 July 2010
As for as weekends comes, I like to prepare different and variety dishes which are quite heavy.
This is because of two reasons. one, I can prepare it leisurely and two, my husband can eat it leisurely. This applies both to breakfast and lunch.
This week I had bought frozen idiyappam from Indian stores. So just thought why don't we do kurma for this idiyappam and keep it for breakfast.
I had once seen this kurma recipe in a tv show and as per that I had prepared this recipe.
The coconut and poppy seeds as a paste gives a nice flavour to this dish.
Both myself and my husband enjoyed the breakfast with Idiyappam and kurma.
1) Onions - 2
2) Tomatoes -2
3) Carrot - 1
4) Beans - 10 to 15
5) Potato - 1 (small)
6) Peas - handfull
7) Cardamom - 1 pod
8) Cloves - 3
9) Green chillies - 2
10) Coconut - 2 tbsp
11) Poppy seeds - 1 tbsp (khuskhus)
12) Chilli powder - 1 tbsp
13) Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
14) Turmeric - a pinch
15) Curd - 1/2 cup
16) Milk - 1 cup
17) Oil - 2 tbsp
18) Salt - to taste
19) Coriander leaves - a few
1)Finely chop onions and tomatoes.
2)Chop the vegetables and steam them.
3)Grind together coconut and poppy seeds to a fine paste.
4)Heat oil in a pan. Add cardamom, cloves and green chillies.
5)Add onions and fry till they are golden brown. Add tomatoes and cook them till they are pulpy.
6)Add chiili powder, coriander powder, turmeric and salt. Mix them well.
7)Now add grounded paste and cook till it becomes thick.
9)Add 1/2 cup curd and boil for a minute.
10)Now switch off the flame and add 1/2 cup milk.
11)Garnish with coriander leaves.
12)Serve hot with idiyappam.
Friday, 16 July 2010
I always prepare veg pulao or biryani. But this time I wanted to try it out with coconut milk.
It came out really well. The coconut milk and the whole spices gives a nice flavour and tastes really nice.
1) Rice - 1 cup(preferably basmati)
2) Jeera - 1/2 tbsp
3) Cloves - 3 nos.
4) Cinnamon - 1 inch
5) Cardamom - 1 pod
6) star anise - 1
7) Bay leaves - 2
8) Green chilli - 3
9) Coconut milk - 1 cup
10) Assorted veggies - 2 cups(beans, peas, carrot)
11) Water - 1 cup
12) Ghee - 2 tbsp
13) Coriander leaves - a few
14) Salt to taste
1)Soak rice in water for 1/2 an hour.
2)Heat ghee in a pan. Add cloves, cinnamom, cardamom, jeera, star anise and bay leaves.
3)you will get a nice aroma. Now add green chillies and roast till white spots appear.
4)Add the veggies and roast till they turn crisp.
5)Now drain the water and add rice. Mix them well.
6)Add 1 cup coconut milk & 1 cup water and pressure cook them for 2 whistles.
7)Garnish with coriander leaves.
8)Serve it with any raita or any gravy of your choice.
9)I served it with aloo gobi.
1)If possible you can add 2 cups coconut milk instead of that 1 cup water.
2)Adjust green chillies according to your spice.
Wednesday, 14 July 2010
I wanted to try this aloo gobi for long time. But I wanted to do it along with any pulao.
So I did this with vegetable pulao and it was just great. The potato and cauliflower with the gravy was so aromatic.
And this recipe is little different from my previous gobi mutter
1) Potatoes - 2
2) Cauliflower - 2 cup (florets)
3) Onion - 1(finely chopped)
4) Tomatoes - 1
5) Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
6) Garlic - 2 pods
7) Green chilli - 2 nos.
8) Chilli powder - 1/2 tbsp
9) Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
10) Garam masala - 1/2 tbsp
11) Turmeric - a pinch
12) Oil - 2 tbsp
13) Salt - to taste
14) Coriander leaves - a few
1)Wash the potatoes, peel them , cut into cubes and boil them.
I microwaved them for 4 mins. Keep it aside.
2)Cut the cauliflower into florets and boil them. keep it aside.
3)Please see that these both are not overcooked.
4)Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
5)When they sizzle, add finely chopped onions and fry till they are golden brown.
6)Put tomatoes, ginger, garlic, greenchillies to a blender and blend it.
7)Now when onions are done, add this tomato paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
8)Add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric and salt and mix them well.
9)Keep stirring it well so that it does not stick to bottom. A nice aroma will come from the gravy.
10)Now add the boiled potatoes and cauliflower. Add water if needed.
11)Cover and cook in the medium flame for about 10 minutes.
12)Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
13)It goes well with chapathi, poori or any pulao.
1) Mushroom lovers can add mushroom to this gravy.
2)Adjust spice according to your taste.
Sunday, 11 July 2010
I read this recipe as a tip in a tamil magazine and tried it. It was so tasty and delicious. This is very simple and takes just a minute or two to make this podi.
If you have just rice and in a hurry, just try this podi. All you got to have is appalam and red chillies. You can also have it idly or dosa.
1) Appalam - 4
2) Red chillies - 2(adjust according to spice)
3) Hing - a pinch
4) Salt to taste.
1)Roast the appalam. I microwaved them for 1 minute.
2)Dry roast the red chillies.
3)Now put these roasted appalam, red chillies, hing and required amount of salt to a blender and grind them to a nice powder.
4)Remove them from the blender and store it in an air-tight container.
5)You can have it with idly,dosa or mix it with rice by adding gingely oil.
Friday, 9 July 2010
When I made paneer myself, I wanted to do paneer butter masala. when I was searching the net, I came across this recipe in Sanjeev kapoor's collection.
I found it quite interesting & wanted to try it out. The dish came so nice and it was so aromatic that it filled all my rooms.
The cashews when soaked in milk & added as a paste gives a nice flavour.
Actually I did this dish with naan for dinner. But the gravy was left over and I did not want to waste it. So the next morning I made chapathi and ate with this gravy. It was even more tastier.
1) Onions - 1(medium size)
2) Tomatoes - 3
3) Paneer - 15-20 cubes
4) Cashews - 10 nos.
5) cloves - 2 nos.
6) green chillies - 2 nos.
7) Ginger - 1 inch piece
8) Red chilli powder - 1/2 tbsp
9) Coriander powder - 3/4 tbsp
10) Garam masala powder - 3/4 tbsp
11) Turmeric - a pinch
12) Curd - 1/4 cup
13) Milk - 1/2 cup
14) Cardamom seeds - 1 pod
15) Salt to taste
16) Tomato sauce - 1 tbsp
1)Cut onions and tomatoes and keep it a side.
2)Soak cashews in milk.
3)Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add cloves, onions, green chillies, ginger and cardamom.
4)Saute till onions become translucent. Now add toamtoes and saute them for few seconds.
5)Add the curd now to this mixture and let it cook for 3-5 mins.
6)Let the mixture cool and blend it in a blender to a fine paste.
7)Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan.
8)Add this blended paste to the pan.
9)Add chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder , garam masala, salt and 1 tbsp tomato sauce.
10)Boil till it becomes thick.
11)Now add 1/2 cup milk and the paneer cubes. Let it boil for 5 mins and switch off the flame.
12)Garnish with coriander leaves.
13)Serve it with chapathi, naan or phulka.
I always use store bought paneer only. Then I thought why don't we try it ourselves.
So I made these paneer cubes and it came out really well.
1) Milk - 6 cups
2) Lemon - 1(big size)
1)Boil 6 cups of milk in a wide steel pan.
2)when it comes to a boil, add lime juice.
3)Now you can see the milk curdling. At this point keep stirring the milk.
4)when stirring, you will see paneer floating on top and milk becoming transparent with water kind of thing.
5)Take a muslin cloth or a hanky. Place it on top of a bowl and strain this liquid.
6)Now the liquid will be in the bowl and the paneer will be in the cloth.
7)If needed, you can wash this paneer under cold water. otherwise leave it.
8)Now twist the hanky and make a round.
9)Place a heavy weight on this for about 1 hour.
10)Now take out the paneer from the hanky and cut into small cubes.
11)The paneer should be very soft.
12)This paneer is used for making curries and gravies.
13)I made this paneer to make Shahi Paneer.
13)You can use this paneer immediately or store it in an air-tight container and keep it in the freezer for future use.
Wednesday, 7 July 2010
I always stir fry the kovakkai when I make curry, which consumes lot of oil. One of my friend, gave me this recipe of kovakkai thuvaran where kovakkai is boiled in water instead of stir fry.
I tried it as told by her. It was really so tasty that I stopped making koavakkai stir fry and started doing this thuvaran nowadays.
1) Tindora/Kovakkai - 1/2 KG
2) Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
3) Red chilli - 2
4) Mustard seeds - 1/2 tbsp
5) urad dal - 1/2 tbsp
6) Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
7) Turmeric - a pinch
8) salt to taste
9) Curry leaves - a few
10) oil - 1 tbsp
1) Finely chop kovakkai(round shape) and boil them in water. Cook them till they are tender.
2) Grind the grated coconut, red chilli, cumin seeds in a blender without adding water.
3) Heat the oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
4) Now add the cooked kovakkai and add turmeric and salt
5) To this add the grounded coconut mixture and mix it well.
6) Cook it in the low flame for about 10 mins or till done.
7) Serve it as a sidedish for any rice.
Tuesday, 6 July 2010
when I was was just wondering what to do for the evening snacks, I came across this recipe in manjulaskitchen. I immediately tried it and wow........... it was too good.
These dumplings are made with gram flour and cabbage as main ingredient. Since it is steamed it is very good for health. It is a spicy snack perfect for tea time.
1) Gram flour/Besan - 1 cup
2) Whole wheat flour - 2 tbsp
3) Grated Cabbage - 2 cups
4) Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
5) Turmeric - a pinch
6) Green chillies - 2 (finely chopped)
7) Coriander leaves - a few
8) Salt to taste
9) Oil - 2 tbsp
1) Mustard - 1/2 tbsp
2) Ajwain seeds(omam) 1/2 tbsp
3) Whole red chilli - 4
4) Curry leaves - a few
5) Oil - 2 tbsp
6) Coriander leaves - a few
1)In a bowl add gram flour, wheat flour, cumin seeds, turmeric, green chillies, coriander leaves, and salt.
2)Add cabbage to this flour mixture and mix them well.
3)It should be like a soft dough. If the mixture is sticky add oil.
4)Now grease your fingers with oil and make small dumplings with your fists and steam them for about 20 minutes.
5)After these are ready, let them cool for sometime.
6)Now cut each of these dumplings into two.
7)Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard, ajwain seeds, whole red chilli, curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
8)Add these dumplings and fry them till they are light brown (for about 5 mins)
9)Finally take them out in a plate and serve hot.
Sending these yummy dumplings to Steamy Kitchen Event
Thursday, 1 July 2010
I'm not used to any kind of international food. But my hubby loves to try difft types of food.. Am very very choosy about what i eat..
My hubby wanted me to change my food habits and get used to other types of food.. So i thought of starting with some simple Italian dish, and get used to it slowly.. I made this Tagliatelle pasta.
I had bought a ready made pasta sauce called Artichoke with garlic sauce. Measurements are for 2 people..My hubby liked it a lot and i thought of posting it in my blog.
You can use any kind of pasta. I've mentioned the name of the pasta i used.
Here goes the simple pasta recipe:
1. Pasta 200 gms
2. Artichoke sauce 130 gms
3. Cooked / steamed Brocolli flowerts 2/3 cups
4. Cream 1/2 cup
5. Mozzarella cheese / Parmesan cheese grated 1/2 cup
6. Fresh Parsley leaves finely chopped 2 tblspn
7. Salt to taste
1. In a sauce pan boil water with little salt and 1 tspn oil, once it starts boiling, add pasta to it and cover it. Let it cook for 15 min. Drain and keep aside.
2. In another pan add olive oil, add the pasta sauce, then add cream , also add 1/4th cup water,use the water in which pasta is cooked, cover and cook for 2 or 3 min. Then add the cooked pasta, cooked/steamed broccoli flowerts, parsley leaves, salt, and cook for 2 min till all gets well mixed.
3. Now add Mozzarella / Parmesan cheese on top mix everything once again.. cook for few seconds and turn off the stove and serve it.