Wednesday, 21 July 2010
Madhu's recipe: Tomato rice
1. Onion 1
2. Tomatoes 3
3. Whole garam masala ( cardamom 2, cloves 3, Cinnamon sticks 1/2 inch)
4. Fennel seeds 1 tspn
5. Green chillies 2
6. Turmeric a pinch, Coriander powder, 2 tspn, chilli powder 1 tspn,
7. Salt to taste
8. Basmati rice cooked 1 cup
9. Peas 1/2 cup
10. Ginger garlice paste
1. In a pan heat oil, add fennel seeds , green chilli and all the whole garam masala mentioned above.
2. Now add chopped onions, fry till translucent.
3. Now add chopped tomatoes, fry for few seconds. Then also add ginger garlic paste.
4. Then add all the powders (coriander, chilli, turmeric)
5. Fry till tomatoes are cooked and the raw smell of powders disappear. Cook for about 10 min on a medium flame.keep stirring occasionaly , so that spices doesn't get burnt.
6. Now add salt, peas and add the cooked basmati rice to the above mixture and mix well till it gets coated well. Cook for 1 or 2 min. Switch off the flame and serve with any raita of your choice.
Note: I used frozen peas, so it can be added finally. If using fresh peas, it has to be pressure cooked first and then has to be added to the above.