Wednesday 23 June 2010

Hema's recipe: Kondakadalai/chickpeas sambhar



Chickpeas/kondakadalai is rich in proteins and are considered more nutritious. It forms a healthy food for diabetic patients.

I frequently soak channa overnight and in the morning I put it in an airtight container and keep it in the freezer and it remains fresh for more than 15 days.

When I told this to my neighbour, Chitra, she gave me the idea of doing Kondakadalai sambhar. I heard it for the first time and tried her recipe. It came out so well that I thought of posting it in the blog.

when there is shortage of any vegetables this sambhar comes handy.

Thank you chitra for giving me this recipe and here goes the recipe.


INGREDIENTS:

1) Chickpeas/kondakadalai - 1/2 cup
2) Onion - 1
3) Tomato - 1
4) Musatrd - 1/2 tsp
5) jeera - 1 tsp
6) Green chilli - 3 nos.
7) Sambhar powder - 1 tsp.
8) Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
9) Coconut - 3 tsp
10) Salt to taste
11) Curry leaves - a few
12) Water - as required
13) Coriander leaves - a few


METHOD:

1) Soak chickpeas in water overnight and pressure cook it.
2) Grind coconut, jeera, greenchilli to a fine paste and keep it aside.
3) Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard & jeera and when it sputters add onion and fry them till translucent.
4) Now add tomatoes and fry them for sometime.
5) Add sambhar powder and salt and mix them well.
6) Now add water and when it comes to a boil add chickpeas. Let it boil until the raw smell goes off.
7) Finally add that grounded coconut paste and keep for 2 minutes and switch off the flame.
8) Garnish with coriander leaves and serve the delicious sambhar with rice.

2 comments:

  1. Wow this looks delicious and new recipe for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you priti. Do try and give me your feedback.

    ReplyDelete