Saturday 22 May 2010

Hema's recipe: Tindora/Kovakka Chutney




Kovakkai is good for making curry. It has good medicinal properties. It is rich in minerals, low in calories and more good for diabetics. I learnt to make kovakka curry from my mother-in-law.

oneday when I was cleaning the fridge I saw some leftover pieces of kovakka which was not enough for curry. Did not know what to do with these left over pieces.Then I remembered one of my friend had told me about kovakka chutney. I did it for the dosa and it was so nice. so whenever I buy kovakka I keep some of them separately for this chutney.


INGREDIENTS:

1) Kovakka - 7-8 Nos.
2) Jeera - 1 tsp
3) Tamarind - small piece
4) Green chilli - 3-4
5) Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
6) Curry leaves - a few
7) salt to taste
8) Oil - 2 tsp


METHOD:

1)Wash kovakka and cut them into round pieces.
2)In a pan, heat oil, add jeera, greenchilli, tamarind, kovakka and salt. Let it cook for sometime.
3)Once done, take them in a plate and let it cool. Then grind them in a blender as you grind for chutney.
4)Now in a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once it sputters, add it to the chutney and mix well.
5)Serve it with idly or dosa.

No comments:

Post a Comment